Find a walking group or buddy to walk with, make some new friends and explore MK with confidence
No matter what your ability is or how old you are, there are lots of opportunities for you to get walking. Every week there are a variety of walks taking place, take a look at our events page to see what’s going on and where you can join a walk. Or, you could set up your own walking group at work, in your community or with friends.
MK Health Walks
If you like company when you walk, why not check out some free volunteer led, MK Health Walks . These walks will help you meet new people, enjoy our open spaces, improve your health and well-being and above all, have fun while doing it.
All walks are between 30 and 90 minutes in length (1.5 to 4 miles) and most include a social get together at the end.
Regular walking improves health
Walking regularly can improve your health and wellbeing because walking is not only good for the body; it’s great for the mind too! Brisk walking counts towards your 150 minutes of recommended exercise per week – but if you can’t manage brisk, don’t worry, get out, enjoy the fresh air, any walking / physical exercise can improve your health and reduce the risk of developing several diseases. Physical activity, such as walking can have immediate and long term health benefits.
Walking is great for your body’s circulation, muscles are activated, your skeletal structure is put to work, your body is gently warmed up and working in harmony.
Walking is great for:
- Strengthening your muscles
- Keeping your bones strong
- Improving the performance of your heart and lungs
- Lowering blood pressure
- Reducing the risk of heart disease and strokes
- Managing your weight
- Reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Reducing the risk of some cancers
- Improving your mood
If you’d like company on your walk or want to learn some new routes you can join a guided walk any day of the week in Milton Keynes.
The Parks Trust Walks
The Parks Trust arrange regular guided walks around their parks and open spaces, catering for everybody with specific walking groups for women and dog walks as well as themed walks. For more information visit The Parks Trust
- Womens Walking Network – Get to know your parks better and make some new friends.Walks are normally 4-5 miles and at a moderate pace. First Thursday of the month with various start venues. Explore the upcoming walks here.
- Discovery Strolls – Short strolls for anyone and everyone. See the Parks Trust website before the event date for information about accessibility.
- Guided Walks – Led by the Parks Trust Outdoor Learning Team around your local parks exploring the local flora, fauna and wildlife. See the Parks Trust website before the event date for information about accessibility.
The Parks Trust also organise an annual Walking Festival in May with a packed schedule of interesting and informative walks around the borough.
If you fancy taking a walk in your own time and at your own pace, have a look at our guide on where to walk in Milton Keynes.