Applications are closed
Your workplace can apply for a ‘Sustainable Travel Grant’ to help implement measures that increase travel to your organisation by active and sustainable modes.
The grants are available to businesses who can demonstrate how the funding will be used to encourage and enable their workforce to make positive changes to their travel behaviour.
The grants up to the value of £1,000 will support plans to encourage more people in Milton Keynes to walk, cycle, scoot or use public transport, building on the rise of greener, more environmentally friendly, people-powered journeys.
Benefits of promoting and enabling active and sustainable travel
- Reduce your businesses transport emissions
- Better air quality
- Reduce issues with parking
- Reduce traffic queues and congestion around your workplace and MK
- Support your staff to be more physically active by making it easier to walk, cycle and use public transport
- Healthier and happier staff
- Save money on fuel and vehicle costs – for you business and your employees
- If you’re using this grant alongside the eCargo bikes for business scheme – not only is it good for the environment, it’s also a great promotional tool (bikes can be branded and they attract a lot of positive attention)
- Create a greener and more sustainable workplace
- Be a pioneer!
Funding will be directed towards schemes which
- Support and encourage use of active modes of transport which deliver health and well-being benefits.
- Support and encourage travel which minimise CO2 emissions and other pollutant emissions.
- Ensure the safety of all travellers.
Schemes that will be eligible for funding
- Promotional events/campaigns that encourage walking, cycling, scooting and public transport.
- New or improvements to cycle parking; facilities; showers; lockers.
- On-site parking management.
- Provision of pool bikes.
- Wayfinding and improvements to pedestrian/cycling access.
- Implementation of car sharing scheme and/or bays.
- Installation of EV charging points.
- Organisations can apply for a sustainable travel grant up to a maximum £1,000.
- Organisations must commit to 50% match funding as a minimum.
- Organisations will agree to monitor the impact and benefits of the scheme by providing baseline data and surveys.
- Organisations must register on the Modeshift STARS for Business platform, and as a minimum, have completed the Site Audit section and staff travel survey.
- The awarded Organisation should commit to achieving a minimum of Green Modeshift STARS accreditation within 6-months of receiving their grant. (This means that they will have developed a Travel Plan and are committed to delivering action to further promote and enable active and sustainable travel to and from their site.)
- Complete the application, include details of your proposed scheme, including quotations and match funding.
- Milton Keynes Council assesses applications monthly.
- Notification of successful applications.
- Applicant agrees to criteria and registers for Modeshift STARS.
- Applicant completes staff travel survey to capture baseline data and completes Site Audit.